The Minister of Works, Power and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola has unveiled plans by the Federal Government to build a better network of roads and bridges across the country.
Fashola said that the intention was to connect states, drive economy, move fuel, food and the import and export of goods.
He unveiled a plan for the construction of 44 federal highways, 63 roads and an emergency intervention across the country ahead of the rainy season to give relief to Nigerians subject to appropriation.
According to Fashola, the 63 roads were identified and prepared for intervention during the inspection tour of roads in 34 states of the Federation by the Ministry which he personally led.
He listed the proposed priority highway projects slated in the 2017 budget to include:
- Kano-Katsina Road (Phase 1: Kano Town at Dawanau Roundabout to Katsina State Border)
- Sokoto-Tambuwal-Jega-Yauri Road
- Ilorin-Jebba-Mokwa-Bokani Road
- Ilorin-Kabba-Obajana Road (Sections 1&11)
- Ibadan-Ilorin Road, Section11 (Oyo-Ogbomosho)
- Lagos-Shagamu-Ibadan Dual Carriageway, Sections 1&11
- Lagos-Otta Road.
- Apapa/Tincan Port, NNPC Depot (Atlas Cove) to Mile 2 Access Road
- Apapa-Oshodi Road
- Third Mainland Bridge
- Apapa/Tincan Island Port-NNPC Depot Access Road
- Benin-Ofosu-Ore Ajebandele-Shagamu Road
- Obajana Junction-Benin Road Phase 2: (Sections i-iv)
- Sapele-Ewu Road Sections 1&11
- Second Niger Bridge
- Onitsha-Enugu Expressway (Amansea-Enugu State Border)
- Yenegoa Road Junction-Kolo-Otueke-Bayelsa Palm
- Bodo-Bonny Road with Bridge
- Odukpani-Itu-(Spur Ididep-Itam)-Ikot Ekpene Federal Highway Sections 1&11
- Ikom Bridge
- Enugu-Port Harcourt Dual Carriageway Sections i-iv
- Calabar-Ugep-Katsina Ala Road
- Vandeikya-Obudu-Obudu Cattle Ranch Road
- Oshegbudu-Oweto Road, Oju/Loko-Oweto Bridge with approach roads
- Nassarawa-Loko Road, Abuja-Lokoja Road Sections i&iv
- Suleja-Minna Road Section 11. Kaduna Eastern Bypass
- Kano-Maiduguri Road Section 1-1V
- Hadejia-Nguru-Gashua-Bayamari Road and Kano Western Bypass
Those listed as critical economic routes include:
- Zaria-Kano Road, Abuja-Lokoja Road (Sections i-iv)
- Ilorin-Jebba-Bokani Road, Ibadan-Ilorin Road (Sections `1&11)
- Lagos-Shagamu-Ibadan Road (Sections1&11)
- Benin-Ofosu-Ore-Ajebandele-Shagamu Road
- Obajana-Benin Road (Sections i-iv).
Also in the list are:
- Onitsha-Enugu Road (Section 1&11)
- Enugu-Port Harcourt Road (Sections i-iv)
- Calabar-Odukpani-Itu Road (Section1)
- Calabar-Ugep-Katsina Ala Road (Sections 1&11)
- Alesi-Ugup (Iyamoyung-Ugup) Road
- Ogoja (Mbok Junction) Abuochichie Road
- Otukpo Township Road
- Kano-Maiduguri Road (Sections i-v)
- Kaduna-Zaria Road
- Kaduna-Katsina Road.
According to the Minister, roads that pass through agricultural areas across the country include:
- Sokoto-Tambuwal-Jega-Kontangora-Makera Road (Sections 1&11)
- Makurdi-Naka-Ndoka-Ankpa Road
- Akure-Ondo-Ore Road and Benin-Sapele Highway. Rubber Research Institute of Nigeria-Iyanomo Road
- 9th Mile-Enugu-Port Harcourt Road
- Abakaliki-Afikpo Road Sections 1&11
- 9th Mile-Oturkpo-Makurdi Road
- Ogboko (Yandev Junction)-Katsina Ala (Ugbema Junction) Road
- Wukari-Mutum Biyu-Jalingo-Numan Road
- Section 1 Numan Jalingo Road
- Gombe-Numan Road
- Kano-Zaria Road.
The 63 roads slated for emergency interventions, which cut across the six geopolitical zones of North East, North West, North Central, South West, South East and South South
- North East:
Construction of bridge at KM 32 along Billiri Filiya in Taraba and the repair of Billiri-Filliya Road in Gombe, Potiskum-Agalda-Gombe State Border (S/B) and Potiskum-Kari-Bauchi S/B Road in Yobe State.
Also included are:
- Tella Road and Bridge 2 Abutment and Apawa-Junction-Zing-Adamawa (State Border) in Taraba State
- Bauch-Darazo-Kari Road in Bauchi State
- Numan-Lafia-Gombe State Border Road, Numan-Jalingo Road
- Numan-Guyuk (Borno State Border)
- Ngurore-Mayobelwa Road in Adamawa State, all in the North East.
- In the North West:
Birnin Gwari Road in Kaduna, Kebbi-Argungu-Sokoto (State Border) Road in Kebbi State, Gusau-Chafe-Katsina Road in Zamfara, Rimawa-Sabonbirnin-Niger Republic Road (Section 1), Rimawa-Sabonbirnin-Niger Republic Road (Section 2) and bridge embankment in Sokoto State, Gumel-Mallam Madori-Hadeija Road, Birnin Kudu and Babaldu-Malumuwa-Bauchi S/B Road, among others in Jigawa,Yayasa Bridge in Kano and Dusinma-Kankara Road in Katsina State.
- North Central:
Makurdi-Lafia Road and Makurdi-Gboko Road in Benue, Okene-Kabba Road and Kabba-Omuo Road in Kogi, Ajase-Offa-Erinle-Osun State Boundary Road in Kwara, Keffi Abuja Road and Keffi-Gittata-Kaduna S/b Road, Nassarawa-Toto-Abaji Road in Nassarawa and Jebba-Mokwa Road, Bida-Lapal-Lambata Road and Makera-Tegina Road in Niger State are listed for repairs
- South West
Ibillo-Isu-Epinmi-Akungba Road and Owo-Akure Road in Ondo, Ilesa-Ijebu-Ijesa Road, Ijebu-Ijesa-Ekiti S/B and Ibadan-Ile-Ife-Ilesa Road, Osun S/B-Ilesa in Osun, Ibadan-Ile-Ife-Ilesa Road in Oyo, Ijebu-Ode-Epe-Ibadan Road in Ogun and Ikorodu-Shagamu in Lagos.
- South East:
Abakaliki-Oferekpe Road in Ebonyi, Nsukka-Adani-Anambra S/B Road in Enugu State, Umuokpor section of Ikot Ekpene-Aba Road in Abia and Ihiala-Orlu-Umuduru Road, Owerri-Okigwe, among others.
Ikot Ekpene-Ikot Umoessien-Abia S/B Road in Akwa Ibom, Ebiama-Yenegoa Road in Bayelsa, Auchi-Igarra-Ibillo-Ose Bridge Road and Benin-Ofosu-Shagamu Road in Edo, Ebouchichie-Gakem Road in Cross River, Benin-Asaba Dual Carriageway, Asaba-Illa-Ebu-Edo S/B Road, Igbodo, Benin- Asaba Expressway and Warrri-Sapele-Edo S/b Road in Delta State among others.
Over 45 bridges, according to the list, are slated for rehabilitation over the next three years. They include:
- Two bridges along Sokoto-Gusau Road
- Murtala Mohammed Bridge, Koton Karfe
- River Ebba to Cheche Bridge
- Jebba Bridge
- 3rd Mainland Bridge
- Nine Lagos Bridges and flyovers
- Lagos Ring Road Bridge Abutment
- Ijora 7-Up Bridge
- Ijora-Apapa Bridge by Leventis
- Burnt Marine Bridge.
They also include:
- Utor Bridge
- Niger Bridge at Onitsha/Asaba
- Onitsha-Owerri Bridge
- Ibagwa Bridge, Ikom Bridge
- Itigidi, Makurdi Bridge
- Quata Sule Bridge
- Katsina Ala Bridge
- Buruku Bridge
- Abuja-Abaji Bridge Section 11
- Loko Owotu Bridge
- Ibi Bridge
- Kudzum Bridge
- Gombe-Michika-Maraba Bridge
- Gamboru Bridge
- Katanko Bridge
- Jaji Bridge
- Borno/Adamawa State Border Bridge
- Falani Bridge, Sumaila
- Flyover Bridge at Silver Jubilee
- Tambuwal Bridge.
It was earlier reported that Fashola on Friday, July 28, tendered an unreserved apology to members of the House of Representatives over his unsavoury comments on the 2017 budget.
The minister who appeared alongside his aides as early as 9.45am told the Rep Aliyu Madaki led adhoc committee that there was no time he deliberately disparaged the National Assembly as alleged.